At the end of a long school day (often largely spent sitting in the classroom), students are anxious to move! With the Q Dance Program, the learning continues as the movement begins!
Our afterschool dance program allows students to aspire to become conscious and engaged citizens, using dance as vehicle for success and transformation. The Q Dance program demonstrates that dance can be used to:
Partner to accomplish greater goals
Improve academic achievement
Respect self, others, and the environment
Embrace community and diversity
The Q Dance Program:
In the Q Dance Program, students learn multiple genres of dance including hip-hop, step, jazz, modern dance, Latin dance forms and creative movement/improvisation techniques. Each class focuses on the history, vocabulary, technique, and cultural context behind each form of dance. Every student gets a chance to showcase their own artistic voice by creating and sharing dance sequences created in small groups. The class fosters structured and supportive interactions with classmates, gives practice in problem solving, and builds academic as well as artistic skills. Additionally, the class highlights the importance of teamwork, collaboration, and positive group interactions through group and partner work.
Key Features of The Dance Program:
- Highlights life skills such as the importance of teamwork, collaboration, and positive group interactions through dance partnering within a nurturing environment that balances rigor, discipline and fun
- Creates learning opportunities by teaching the history, cultural context and technique behind a variety of dance genres
- Documents learning through student-created dance journals
- Encourages critical thinking through self-assessment and peer feedback
- Includes final student performance showcasing the knowledge gained during the program